Books for children and adolescents on LGBTQ topics
- HRC’s “Welcoming Schools” initiative has published lists of LGBTQ-related books for children of all ages. The lists are organized according to content (there are books that address gender stereotypes, gender expansive children, embracing diversity, bullying, etc.) as well as age level (picture books, early readers, chapter books, etc.).
- The Rainbow Project puts together a yearly bibliography of GLBTQ books for children and young adults. Members of the Rainbow Project come from the American Library Association GLBT and Social Responsibility Round Tables. Brief synopses and age recommendations are given.
- Librarians at the University of Illinois have put together a bibliography of transgender literature for young adults. Included are guides to YA transgender literature as well as fiction and nonfiction about transgender characters and people.
American Psychological Association: http://www.apa.org
A wide variety of resources, based on sound research and (largely) presented in easy-to-follow formats
Just the Facts about Sexual Orientation and Youth: A Primer for Principals, Educators, and School Personnel
The American Psychological Association and the other 12 organizations that comprise the Just
the Facts Coalition have just published a new edition of Just the Facts about Sexual Orientation
and Youth: A Primer for Principals, Educators, and School Personnel (PDF, 254 KB). This
group of national education, health, mental health and religious organizations believe that all
students should have an opportunity to learn and develop in a safe and supportive environment.
Just the Facts provides information and resources for principals, educators, and school personnel
who confront sensitive issues involving gay, lesbian, and bisexual students.
- Answers to Questions About Sexual Orientation and Homosexuality: http://www.apa.org/pubinfo/answers.html
- Answers to Questions about Individuals with Intersex Conditions: http://www.apa.org/topics/intersx.html
- Answers to Questions about Transgender Individuals and Gender Identity http://www.apa.org/topics/transgender.html
- Hate Crimes Today (information about hate crimes: causes, consequences, etc.): http://www.apa.org/releases/hate.html
Sexual Orientation: Science, Education, and Policy website
Lots of information, links, and resources on a wide variety of LGBT topics; site created by Dr. Greg Herek, a psychologist prominent in GLBT issues
Affirm Network: LGB Resource Bibliographies: (categorized by topic)
Affirm is a national group of professional folks (especially psychologists) who are mostly allies and who provide information and advocacy for pro-LGBT stances on a variety of issues. Website has bibliographies on a range of LGBT-related topics.